How To Get TIN Number For Self-Employed Individuals — A Complete Guide…

Steps on How To Get TIN Number for Self-Employed Individuals & the Requirements

HOW TO GET TIN NUMBER FOR SELF-EMPLOYED INDIVIDUALS – Here is a complete guide in getting a Tax Identification Number from the BIR.

Individuals in the Philippines who are earning are mandated to have a Tax Identification Number that is why is usually part of the requirements in applying for a loan, making a huge purchase, and other transactions. It is more popularly called TIN or TIN number.

TIN Requirements BIR
Photo Credit:

In the Philippines, the Tax Identification Number or TIN is issued by the Bureau of Internal Revenue, the tax-collecting body in the country. The government office has set different processes and requirements among the applicants of the TIN.

How To Get TIN Number
Photo Credit: Pinoy Business Ideas

Who may get the Tax Identification Number? The BIR has opened the TIN application not only for earning individuals but as well as the unemployed ones who need it for an important purpose. Here are the categories of individuals who may apply for a TIN number:

  • anyone who earns an income in the Philippines (Filipinos and foreign nationals)
  • self-employed Filipino and foreign individuals including:
    • freelancers
    • sole proprietors
    • online sellers
    • professionals
  • mixed-income earners
  • local and foreign estates in the Philippines
  • Filipino-owned and foreign-owned corporate tax payers in the Philippines
  • persons registering under EO 98 to be able to transact with other government offices
  • one-time taxpayers including the individuals who will be paying any of the following:
    • capital gains tax
    • donor’s tax
    • estate tax
    • tax on winnings

How to get a TIN number for the self-employed individuals? Take the first step of preparing TIN Number requirements including the money for the TIN number fee.

If you already have the documents and the amount needed, here are the steps on how to get a TIN number for self-employed individuals:

  • Step 1 — Go to the Revenue District Office (RDO) with jurisdiction over the place where your housee, head office, or branch office is located.
  • Step 2 — Submit the required documents to the New Business Registrant Counter (NBRC).
  • Step 3 — Pay for the annual registration fee, the documentary stamp tax, and the fee for the BIR-printe receipt/invoice.
  • Step 4 — Attened the initial briefing for new business registrations conducted by the RDO.
  • Step 5 — Receive the following documents from BIR:
    • Certificate of Registration (BIR Form 2303)
    • Notice to Issue Receipt/Invoice
    • BIR-printed receipts/invoices or Authority to Print, whichever is applicable
    • Received copy of BIR Form 1901
    • Proof of payments

Self-employed individuals must apply for the Tax Identification Number (TIN) on or before the start of the business such as whichever comes first between the day when the first sale was made or within 30 calendar days from the date that the Business Permit was issued.

Leave a Comment